Return to Learn 2020 (Back-to-School)
Updated August 4, 2020
Please see the information below for Buford Middle School's back-to-school information. Please check back often, as we continue to update this information.
This page provides information and links to help our families prepare to return to school for both face-to-face and digital learning families. We have additional information for our digital learning families here.
- BCSS Return to Learn Updates
- BMS Digital Learning Information
- Purchase Agendas and Lockers
- Purchase Spirit Wear
- Purchase Yearbook
- Rising 6th Grade Information
- Sign-up for BMS 101 (6th graders attending face-to-face instruction only)
- Sign-up for Wolf Pack
Our transportation department is busy planning the bus routes for the school year. With students choosing the digital option, we know there will be a decrease in the number of riders. If your student will be riding the bus, please complete this brief questionnaire to assist in their planning.
BCS is implementing a system-wide online learning management system. This will take the place of Google Classroom and Schoology. Students will be given directions on accessing all of their coursework through Canvas by their classroom teachers.
Each student within the BCS system will receive a Chromebook. These devices are system-owned and will be checked out to each student. Parents will sign a Device Agreement acknowledging receipt of the device and guidelines BCS has set in place. Students will receive instruction on expectations, digital citizenship, and proper care of these devices during our Flex time.
Clubs and Athletics
We have updated our dress code to reflect our modified attendance policy. Our dress code is available in the documents section below. Please note that face coverings are required at school when social distancing is not possible. Families are encouraged to consider having extra masks for students during the school day.
Electronic Devices and Smart Watches Reminders
As you prepare to return to school, we would like to remind our families that cell phones, music devices, cameras, and other communication devices shall not be seen, used, or heard in the school building or at car rider unless directed by the teacher. Watches may not be used as communication devices or notification devices. Devices should be turned off and placed in lockers for the entire day.
New Student Orientation:
NEW students to Buford Middle School who are rising 7th and 8th graders attending school face-to-face are invited to join us for orientation on Tuesday, August 11th, between 9:00 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.
- Please use this link in order to reserve your time slot.
- Only new enrollment students will be allowed to attend New Student Orientation.
- One parent, guardian, or adult family member may escort each student during their time slot, but are not required to attend.
- Per Dr. Downs, a mask must be worn in the building when social distancing is not possible. Please make sure to bring one with you.
- Time slots are divided so students and parents will be in small groups.
- Students will receive their schedule, locker, and bus information during check-in.
- We prefer you prepay for your locker and agenda on MyPaymentsPlus. We will also be accepting cash or check payments when you check in.
- Due to the limited amount of time allotted for each group, please do not plan on bringing school supplies or items to decorate your locker. Your time will be used to practice opening the lock and becoming familiar with its location.
- Agendas will be distributed on the first day of school.
- Families with questions may contact Amy Perkins for more information.
Open House (Virtual)
BMS will be conducting our 2020 Open House virtually this year. Families will have the opportunity to "meet" teachers via videos that will be available on our website on Friday, August 7, by 3:00 p.m. These videos will also be sent in an email on Friday, August 7, by 3:00 p.m. Students and parents may log into PowerSchool on Thursday, August 6, after 6:00 p.m. to view schedules and teacher assignments.
Please note this is a "virtual" open house on our website. Students and parents will not come to the building for this event.
Please refer to our updated school calendar for student holidays and early release days in the documents section below.
Our fall collection is now available online. Families can browse our current collection and submit their orders online. Early purchases are available for students attending BMS 101 and our New Student Orientation. Online purchases may be picked up in the bus lane on Monday, August 10 (8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.) and Tuesday, August 11 (9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.).
Our updated 2020 Supply List for both our digital learners and our face-to-face students is available in the documents section below. Please note that clear book bags are optional and are the only bags students may carry around during the day. Traditional book bags that are not clear must be stored in students' lockers. Students may bring any new supplies or materials not returned from last spring at any time during the first week of school.
Students are encouraged to purchase earbuds that will accommodate the standard 3.5 mm size for use with our Chromebooks.
Eighth-grade students will need to have their own TI-36X Pro calculator this year. If you have been unable to purchase this calculator, we will be making a group order of calculators at the beginning of the school year. If you would like to take advantage of this opportunity for your student, please use this link and complete the order form. You may send a payment of $20 with your child on the first day of school through either cash or check (payable to Buford Middle School). Payments need to be sent no later than August 14th.