Click on each section to access helpful resources for middle grades students.
School Closure Resources
The following is a list of learning resources for families and children that may be accessed for free while we experience school closures.
- Abdo Digital - Offers free access to ebook collections. Most books are non-fiction and classical works.
- myOn - Allows students to have unlimited, free access to more than 6,400 digital books through the myON digital library during school closures.
- Mystery Science - Lessons that inspire kids to love science. During school closures, popular science lessons are being provided for anyone to use for free. No account or login needed.
- Prodigy - Offers engaging, curriculum-aligned math platform designed to motivate 1st – 8th-grade students to learn and practice math.
- Scholastic Learn at Home - Provides all students with 20 days worth of learning journeys, including projects, articles and stories, virtual field trips, reading and geography challenges, and more. Does not require a username or password.
- Science Flix - Engages students' interest in a variety of science topics, including science in the news, through a variety of text and videos. To access, scroll down to Science Flix, the last resource listed.
Awesome Apps and Websites
- BrainPop - Provides an engaging learning environment through games, activities, and videos to supplement student learning from the classroom
- Kahoot - Assists students in reviewing through a game-based learning platform for all subjects, in any language, on any device
- Gimkit - Creates competition via a classroom game-show platform where students compete by answering questions on their electronic devices
- Funbrain - Provides interactive content, with hundreds of free games, books, and videos
- My Math App - Assists students in reviewing/mastering basic math facts (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division) (Apple & Android)
- Quizlet - Allows students to create and study flash cards for any topic (Apple & Android)
- Grammar Express - Provides students with multiple apps to assist in mastering the grammar rules. Topics include parts of speech, tenses, nouns, prepositions; active and passive voice, etc. (Apple & Android)
- Grammar Express; Figures of Speech - Helps students in mastering the art of expressing figuratively for the sake of greater effect
- Grammarly - Helps to reduce grammar errors and enhance writing
- Gwinnett County Public Library - All BCSS students have access the library system’s print collection, research materials, digital resources, audio books, language learning, and so much more
- Literary Analysis Guide - Helps students visualize how the elements of literature develop style and meaning (Apple & Android)
- Buzz Math - Designed for K12 education with over 7, 000 activities derived from the Common Core State Standards
- IXL - Offers personalized learning for math and language arts, allowing students to practice current, review past, or preview upcoming curriculum
- Khan Academy - Offers practice exercises, instructional videos, and a personalized learning dashboard that empower learners to study at their own pace in and outside of the classroom
- Quizizz - Free self-paced quizzes to review, assess, and engage—in class and at home
- SchoolYourself - Offers free interactive lessons from award-winning Harvard instructors
- Discovery Education - Offers a variety of highly engaging professionally created digital resources including instructional videos, images, and audio clips from partners like MythBusters, NBA, Reuters, and Shark Week
- New Georgia Encyclopedia- Designed exclusively for online environments with over 2,300 articles and 6,600 images specifically for Georgia
- Google Earth - Takes students on virtual field trips where they can see the political borders and satellite images of the exciting places they are studying (Apple & Android)
- Sheppard Software - Designed for students to play geography games where they gain a mental map of the world's continents, countries, capitals, and landscapes
- 8th Grade Georgia Studies
- GPB Georgia Studies Collection - Brings an innovative, interactive experience to telling the story of Georgia’s history, culture, and geography
- GPB Online Textbook - Offers a variety of standards-based content to complement the 8th-grade social studies curriculum
- Virtual Law Museum - Provides resources of court cases at the state and national levels
- Citation Creator - Assists students in creating citations in the MLA format for books, magazines, websites, journals, etc.
- GALILAO Teen - Provides students with numerous databases to use while conducting research **Contact us for the current password if accessing away from BMS**
- Photos for Class - Access royalty-free and safe images that are available to be used in the classroom and for educational purposes
STUDENT ORGANIZATIONAL SKILLS:
- Evernote - Allows students to write notes of all types and access them on any device. Students can also collect web articles, handwritten notes, and photos to keep all the details in one place. (Apple & Android)
- Google Drive - Allows students to keep all of their files saved in "the cloud" and access them from anywhere or on any device. (Apple & Android)
- myHomework Student Planner - Works as a school organizer that helps keep track of assignments and due dates. (Apple & Android)
- Flocabulary - Offers a wide library of songs, videos and activities for K-12 online learning using educational raps
- Free Rice - Gives quiz questions where every correct answer donates 20 grains of rice through the UN World Food Program to help end hunger
- Membeam - Provides practice using the game-like format and engaging content such as audio, video, and word pictures